25th Anniversary year of Carnoustie Twinning with Maule
The twinning link between Maule and Carnoustie was first instigated by the people of Maule and established in 1992. On Friday 28 April 2017 eleven East Haven residents joined firends from Carnoustie and Maule to celebrate 25 years of the twinning association.
The clan Maule of Scotland began with the Norman invasion of 1066 hence the initial French link. During the following 100 years the Maule family were linked to the then kings of England which resulted in William de Maule being given lands at Fowlis in Perthshire in 1138. About 1175 the barony of Panmure was given to Philip de Valoniis for services rendered to William I of England at the same time he was made the High Chamberlain of Scotland. It was Philip de Valoniis who granted the monks of Coupar Angus Abbey an acre of land in his port of East Haven in 1214. Philip’s son William inherited his father’s title and lands, his only child was Christiana. Following the death of William de Maule his estate was inherited by his brother Richard as he had died childless. In 1224 Richard de Maule married Christiana and so the Panmure estate passed to the Maule family. In later years the family dropped the ‘de’ and simply became known as Maule.
In the following centuries the Maule family were closely linked to the Scottish Kings and in 1646 Charles I created the Earldon of Panmure for Patrick Maule who was one of his staunch supporters. It was his son George the 3rd Earl who built a mansion house on the Panmure estates. George was succeeded by his brother James who became the 4th Earl a supporter of James VII the Old Pretender who was later to go into exile in France. James followed him and spent the rest of his life in a town not far from the town of Maule. Because of his support for the Old Pretender James the 4th Earl forfeited his lands but these were later bought back by his nephew and so the Panmure estate returned to the Maule family. The estate later passed by marriage to the Earl of Dalhousie and was finally sold by the family in 1950 to pay death duties. The mansion was last lived in about 1860 and was sadly demolished in 1955. Since then the estate has been resold on several occasions up to 2001 when its final sale lead to the estate being broken up.
The people of Maule created the panels of heritage bunting opposite in 1214 to highlight the historic link between East Haven and Maule.
Panmure Estate - A place of historical importance
Panmure Estate which lies approximately 4 miles north of East Haven is one of the most important heritage sites in Scotland dating back to the 12th Century. The Estate is home to an abundance of important wildlife, trees and historic monuments. East Haven Together has made an application to Angus Council for Panmure Estate to be awarded conservation status. The charity believes that the historic, natural and wildlife heritage is of such importance that it should be preserved and protected for future generations. Panmure Estate is said to be the hidden jewel in the crown of Carnoustie which is twinned with Maule in France in recognition of the town's historical links with the Maules of Panmure. Following success in the Beautiful Scotland competition in 2015, residents committed to doing more to promote and protect the heritage of the estate to ensure that our important heritage is preserved for future generations.
The connection with East Haven
East Haven is part of the former Barony of Panmure which constituted the largest part of the parish of Panbride. It was particularly associated with the lands of Scryne which formed the southern half of the barony. The earliest known proprietors of Panmure were the de Valognes, an Anglo-Norman family favoured by King William 1 (1165-1214). Around 1214, Philip de Valognes granted the monks of Coupar Angus Abbey an acre of land in his port of Stinchendehavene (East Haven) for a toft to build on, with a toll for fishings and a right to use the Haven (Adams D.G.)
The Panmure Estate was inherited by the Maule family in 1224, and the remains of Panmure Castle are located close to the site of the house. The photo opposite is an old postcard which shows Panmure House which was rebuilt in the 19th century. It was widely thought to be one of the finest baronial houses in Scotland but following the 2nd World War it fell into disrepair and the money could not be found to repair and maintain it. Unbelievably, this beautiful building was blown up in December 1955. Some of the old stone was brought down to East Haven and lies here to this day buried beneath the dunes infront of shore row.
Over the centuries East Haven has maintained a close relationship with the Estate and the Maule family. During our 800th year we displayed exhibits from the House and Estate which provided a fascinating insight into our history. We also recorded stories about people in the village who knew the Earl and worked at the House.
Adams D.G. Fishing Communities in Angus and the Mearns by David G Adams and edited by Gillian Zealand.
Below we have posted photographs of some of the monuments within Panmure Estate and started to record information about them. If you click on the photos you should be able to see the full monument.
Margaret's Mount (B listed)
This monument sits on a raised artificial mound with a stone pedestal surmounted by a
carved stone urn. It is approximately 8ft high. It dates back to the early 18th century and is said to commemorate the parting of Earl James and Margaret following his escape after
the battle of Sheriffmuir.
The Commemorative Column (A Listed)
The column was designed by Sir William Bruce and erected in 1694. It is approximately 45 feet high, has a moulded base and pedestal and is uniformly square in its extent. The north side bears the name of JAMES EARLE OF PANMURE, 1694; and on the south side, his wife MARGARET COUNTESS OF PANMURE, 1694. James was the 4th Earl and Margaret was the daughter of the 3rd Duke of Hamilton.
Bonnie Prince Charlie Bridge (B listed)
PANMURE CASTLE - BRIDGE OVER MONIKIE BURN.
The West Gate (The locked gates) A Listed
James (4th Earl of Panmure) fought for the cause of the Old Pretender (James Francis Edward Stuart). Along with his brother, Harry Maule of Kelly and an army they had raised to join forces with their nephew, the Earl of Mar, he rode out of Panmure ordering the gates to be locked behind them until he returned triumphant. He was taken prisoner at the Battle of Sheriffmuir in 1715 and three hundred years later the gates remain closed. Harry helped him to escape and it is said that he fled to France smuggled out by East Haven fishermen. His title and estates were forfeited in 1719 and twice the Crown offered to return the estates if he swore allegiance to the House of Hanover. This he declined and died in exile in Paris in 1723. The estates were subsequently bought back in 1764.
Camus Cross (B Listed)
Approximately six and a half feet high, the Camus Cross is an intact, free standing cross and is considered quite rare in Scotland. It was first recorded in 1481 in a legal boundaries document. The cross was removed from its original burial ground position and repositioned a little further to the north. Folk etymology suggested that the stone represented the burial ground of Camus, Leader of a Norse army. It is now considered likely that the name originated from the extinct village of Camuston and although the stone is quite badly weathered, the carvings on the Camus Cross distinctly shows similarities with those on the Brechin Hogback stone and this indicates an early medieval Ecclesiastical influence.
Montague Bridge (B listed)
The spectacular Montague Bridge is 80 feet in height with 3 semi-circular arches and spans the gully over the Monikie Burn. It was erected by the Earl Fox Maule and named after Lady Panmure who died while the Panmure Estate was being improved. The bridge is dated 1854.
The Panmure Testimonial (Live and Let Live) B listed
The Panmure Testimonial, also known as the 'Live and Let Live' memorial, stands approximately 105 feet high on the most elevated point of Cambustone Hill, 560 feet above sea level. It is visible from a great distance and is considered one of the most conspicuous landmarks in the east of Scotland. The designer was Mr John Henderson of Edinburgh. Many locals will remember the poem they learned as children:
NORTH to the Monument
SOUTH to the sea
EAST to Arbroath
And WEST to Dundee.
Copy this link into your web search bar to watch a fabulous film of both the monument and the views across the whole of the landscape. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHNgJNMMoc
It was erected in 1839 to commemorate the generosity of William Maule the 2nd Earl of Panmure. In 1826 a particulalry hot and dry summer led to a shortage of 'short corn' thus creating a more general food shortage. Local framers were struggling desperately and as a result, Lord Panmure suspended the collection of rent from his tenant farmers. In gratitude and thankfullness for his genoristy the tenant farmers funded the building of this beautiful monument which is an A listed building. It is also on the buildings at risk register. An old poem recalls the history behind the monument.
Memorial 'tis of gratitude,
To caring earl, whose latitude
Encompassed tenants' dues unpaid,
As harvest crops in field decayed.
Though soil may yield, harsh seasons cruel
Unequal make man's earthly duel
'gainst Nature's powerful elements
that blessings bring and harassments.
Sun can warm yet cause a drought.
Refreshing rain may help seeds sprout.
But when dark thunderclouds do lower,
The bursting floods reveal their power.
Soil and seed or swelling grain
Are washed away or battered lain,
A wasted crop! Such futile toil!
On wonders why they till the soil.
The wind, is't friend or fiendish foe?
Hay gently drying, yet, a blow
From eastern airt in Springtime calm
Will wither leaves and blossom harm.
And what of hail and sleet and snow?
Of those, the last allows to grow
The tender shoots of winter wheat
Beneath its insulating sheet.
Today, these ills we circumvent,
Appealing to the Government.
But in those days of yesteryear,
Doom and disaster bred chill fear
Of gnawing hunger and eviction.
"Fear not!" the laird said with conviction.
"Your woes and ills I understand.
Your homes will stay upon my land.
And till the future harvest's sure,
Count on the bounty of Panmure."
'Live and Let Live', we raise our glass
to him whose caring few surpass.
Conservation Status report
You might remember that East Haven Together made a request to Angus Council in February to consider designating Panmure Estate as a conseration area. We have now received the results of an initial desk top study into our enquiry which concludes that this would not be appropriate. Although we were initially disappointed with the decision we can now see from the report (download below) that conservation status in itself will not provide the kind of outcome we are looking for. There are 13 monuments listed with Historic Environment Scotland and a number of archeolgical areas of interest. Although this should ensure that they are managed effectively we remain unconvinced that current legislation and policy is robust enough to ensure that the historic environment will be maintained. For example, HES only have a remit for considering A listed monuments and therefore the majority of monuments and historic remains are left with little or no protection. Moreover, when a large festival was planned the outcome of a Screening Opinion by Angus Council deemed an Environmental Impact Assessment an unnecessary requirement. We believe this to be worrying and we had hoped that conservation status would have granted greater protection for the whole estate including wild life and natural heritage in addition to the historic heritage. It seems that there is no overarching legislation that would provide greater protection to the estate at this time. This is something we may take up with HES and other bodies in the future. In the meantime, the residents of Panmure Estate are considering whether there would be value in having Panmure Estate included on the Gardens and Designed Landscape Inventory. A small survey might be a useful way of identifying which trees have important value for example and which elements of the designed landscape meet the criteria for inclusion in any such application. In the meantime, we are greaful to Angus Council for undertaking the study which is well worth a read as it contains some historical facts and details about Panmure